Saturday 13 November 2010

21st Century Youth Landscape

I forgot to blog about this which took place 3 weeks ago on Jake's birthday, 30th October. LOLS.

This talk was held at Trinity @ Paya Lebar. The speaker is Glenn Lim!! :D He's an awesome Electric Guitarist! He is endorsed by Gibson Guitars man! haha.

Check out this video of him and you'll know how pro he is. Haha.


Ok, the main thing is not his guitar skill but how he turned around from his drugged-out, hedonistic life. He is now a gifted public speaker, youth counsellor and a pastor. He is part of many government bodies that are reaching out to today's youth.

But yeah, the guitarist in him still attracts me the most. HAHAHAHA! Without his shredding-capability and guitar prowress, I think I wouldn't be so interested in him. HAHA!

Anyway, the talk was good. It shed light on the different worldviews of the different generations. He identifies the needs of our youth today and teaches us how to tackle them, practically.

Here's one slide of his talk...regarding our 21st century worldview...
1) Consumerism - So many choices that we don't know what is good or real anymore
2) Glocalism - Globalism + Local = Glocalism...IT generation
3) Extremism - No boundaries
4) Eclecticism - Picking and choosing what we want to believe in from different sources.
5) Relativism - Everything is subjective to your feelings & experience
6) Paradoxism - Comfortable with contradictions
7) Metopia-ism - Me-ism + Utopia. It's all about ME!

I like what he said about our consumeristic behaviour today..."Christian youths these days are so consumeristic that they don't just church-hop, they church-SHOP!"

I concluded all these with this equation I came up with...
Narcissism + Hedonism + Nihilism = Youths of the 21st Century

This formula will result in the breakdown of mankind. When everyone lives for themselves, there'll never be happiness; there'll always be fights, wars...and it's just about to get worse.

What can we do? He advocates mentoring really strongly. And he believes that the church has to head it. Me too! For the Church is called to establish God's will on planet earth! It's God's parliament! Literally...that's what the greek word for the Church in Matthew 16:19 "ekklesia" means!

He urges us to reform & retool our discipleship model. That's another chunk of info...Haha. Problem is, we're not applying all these info today. The church is too caught up in business rather than God's business.

Anyway, I went to this talk with Meryl :) & we met Huifang & her friends there! It's been like SUPER, UBER long since I met Huifang man! And when I saw her, I ALMOST COULDN'T RECOGNISE HER!!

She was 8 months pregnant!

She was really plump man. And bloated...literally...because pregnant woman will have water retention that will cause their bodies to bloat up with water and all...

But she's not lost her talkativeness & engaging flair. Haha. She's still awesome.

Haha. She was telling me "I can't wait to give birth man! Just get this over and done with!" Haha. And I thought women would be afraid to give birth. She is eagerly awaiting it. LOLS! "After this one, I don't want anymore already! I can't stand being this way...fat!" Haha! She was also telling me how she'll regain her slim figure after this episode. LOLS!

She also told us about how the baby will move and poke at her tummy and all. Haha.

It was really cool to meet up with her & Meryl again :) They're all super warm & genuine people and you can just spend the entire week with them without getting bored. Haha.

Really miss most of my besties from Bethel man...hardly see them since I'm in Heart of God now. Well, I'll meet them up soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment