Friday 27 October 2017

Exit Management

To those in People's Association (PA) or in the public service, you'd definitely have heard of these 2 words before. In our government self-help Human Resources management portal - better known as ACE (Alliance for Corporate Excellence - I betcha didn't know what the acronym stands for. LEL) system - these 2 words "Exit Management" sit there on a tab, like a guru promising you freedom and happiness when you click it. Or to others, it could be a goth-emo girl in heavy black-and-white make-up in a black-and-white emo outfit telling them "You've had enough. It's time to leave! Click me!"

Yup, that's essentially how you quit the organisation - by clicking on the "Exit Management" button. With that simple mouse click, it triggers a series of system responses and soon enough your bosses will be informed via email to conduct an exit interview with you.

But simply clicking that button without first discussing it with your bosses is a very impersonal way to quit and it may even be seen as irresponsible or rude. It's as good as breaking up with your boyfriend or girlfriend by simply changing your Facebook status to "single" without them first knowing about your decision.

So, how I did it was simple. I was in my (constituency) director's (aka CD) office with my deputy (constituency) director (aka DCD) discussing some work issues and when we're more or less done, I simply interjected "Anyway..."

"...My dad recently spoke with me about him wanting me to join his business as he plans to retire soon. So how do I go about the resignation process? Do I click the 'exit management' tab?"

Both my bosses were stunned there for a moment because my "Anyway..." was usually a trivial update or some story about what happened at my meeting or event. But this time, this "Anyway..." was a bomb.

After that brief moment of knowing what had just hit them, my boss replied "You don't click first. You discuss with your dad whether can wait ok?"

I was like "Ok..." and left the room as my bosses discussed their next course of action. After like 5 minutes, my DCD called me into our office's meeting room to have a chat.

He was telling me about how they were planning to give me a very good performance rating this year, which meant that I would get a very good performance bonus and stuff. The main gist of our conversation went something like that "This bonus is what you've worked so hard this year for bro. You're wanna let it all go to waste by quitting now meh?"

Together, we counted how many months salary I would forfeit if I quit now:

Nov 2017 - 1 month pay
Dec 2017 - at least 2 months' pay (13th month bonus)
Jan 2018 - 1 month pay
Feb 2018 - 1 month pay
Mar 2018 - at least 3 months' pay (at least 2 months performance bonus)
Apr 2018 - 1 month pay (Pay increment)
May 2018 - about 2 months' pay (3 year emplacement bonus)
Jun 2018 - 1.5 months' pay (0.5 month mid-year bonus)
Jul 2018 - 1 month pay + QUIT

Basically, I would be missing bonuses of at least 4.5 months of my monthly salary if I quit now.

And quitting now would mean missing a total of 13.5 months worth of salary! That means I'll be missing out on a total of about $55,000+ worth of salary! DAYUM SON! And I haven't even factor-in the pay increment amount from Apr 2018 onwards! LOL.

So, this legit made me hesitate about quitting now. Because, it's really not that smart to quit now and forfeit the 4.5 months worth of bonuses that I've worked so hard to earn over the entire work year.

After that, my other DCD came and spoke with me and he was telling me how I was the only staff who managed to handle the portfolios I was given this well and how my continued contributions would be good for both the office and for myself in terms of pay and stuff.

With that, I brought the discussions back to my dad to see what's his view.

Guess what's my dad's response? He laughed the figure away. That's probably because he could probably make that amount or multiples of it in a month or so by closing deal(s). And he wanted me to join the company in November because it's the company's lull period and he can teach me more stuff.

With that, I brought the discussion back to my bosses' who were willing to compromise. They said they would allow me to understudy my dad by allowing me to take no-pay leave. Their main aim is to have me stay till at least year-end so that there is time for a proper handover and transition.

So...I brought this back to my dad...AGAIN...and he was like "Don't waste time already. By November you come in." LOL.

So, that sort of made my decision to leave somewhat "pre-maturely" easier.

BUT, that wasn't the only reason for my early exit. The other reason, which is at the back of my mind, is I have a lot of drama rehearsals this year end. Yes, I joined my new church's - Hope Singapore - drama ministry. And I am cast-ed in this year's Christmas drama production.

So, there are a lot of rehearsal dates that will clash with my events and meeting timings - yes, in PA, our meetings and events are usually on weekday nights or weekends because we work with community volunteers and they are only free after their working hours.

And of course, I'll probably be planning a few year-end trips as well and I have not much leave left to clear since I already cleared most of it on my 2-week+ family holiday to Switzerland and my Advanced Adventurer dive trip to Tioman. So, this means that if I stay, I can kiss my extravagant year-end holiday plans good bye. HAHA!

In summary: The only pull factor from PA is the pay. The major push factor from PA is the number of personal commitments and social life that I have to sacrifice.

What's left is the final push factor from my dad who wants me in the company ASAP.

So yup, here I am now, typing this post as a free man. LOL.

What followed then is a series of hand-take stuff that I had to prepare and a series of things to do for my exit clearance. Let me take you through my sentimental and emotional journey of quitting if you may...I shall break it down into 4 chapters:
  1. Farewell Meals
  2. Resignation Essay
  3. Desk Clearing
  4. Exit Clearance
1. Farewell Meals

Now that my days are numbered, my colleagues are taking me out for meals and expressing a lot more praise and gratitude toward me. It makes me wonder...Why do we only start telling people how much we love and appreciate them when we know that there's not much time left or sometimes, no time left at all?

If my bosses and colleagues have told me just 50% of the stuff they were telling me like way earlier in my job, it probably would have boosted my work morale much more and probably produced a better quality of work. But hey, we're Asians right?

And why do we pen such beautiful eulogies when the person is not even alive to hear it? Tell me my eulogy while I'm alive! LOL. Now this is really one of the things I wanna do when I'm much older. Conduct a fake funeral so that I can hear what people have to say of me. I wanna hear it for myself!

I wanna see the affection, feel the gratitude and cry tears of gold knowing that I've touched someone's life! Not because I'm narcissistic, but because that's what life is about! It's about people! And knowing how people have been impacted by what I've done gives me a deep sense of fulfillment and it also gives the person sharing an immense sense of gratitude which is an invaluable exchange of good vibes which enriches the soul.

Ok, sorry about my random rant. But yes, I have very sweet colleagues that took me out for my "last supper" LOL. Before I show you the photos, lemme give you a lil' overview of my colleagues.

1/3 of them are in their mid-30s and some of them have just started their families. 2/3 of them are in their mid-40s to mid-50s and beyond. Yes, my office has a staff strength of about 20pax. So, as you browse the photos below, you'll know which third of the office I'm hanging with. HAHA.

Lunch treat at Putien :D
Dinner treat at Sakura buffet at Tampines SAFRA :D
Drinking session with a handful of my colleagues and GRLs (grassroots leaders) on my last day of work :D Yes, it's Halloween season so they made me wear devil's horns on my cap...LOL
Yep, so far I've had 3 official farewells with different groups of my colleagues and GRLs. Will probably have a few more with my different committee members who have suggested arranging a "final" meal with me. Haha.

2. Resignation Essay

After all these meals, there was only like 1 or 2 weeks left at work which is all the time I have to consolidate my work to handover to my colleagues.

Apart from that, I also had this idea of writing a resignation essay thanking everyone individually for making my stay in PA a memorable one...and sending it to everyone in PA. This idea isn't original though. There was this dude who, before he left, also sent a goodbye email to everyone in PA.

The only difference between that dude's email and my email is...His email was about 2 pages long. Mine is 13 pages long. LOL. I shall copy and paste the email I sent below to forever immortalize my resignation essay which I took hours to draft.

So, do take the time to read it, because, the responses that followed was epic. LOL.

Good morning all my fellow PA colleagues :D

You may or may not know me. But, I want you to know some people that I’ve worked with that are worth knowing and have made my stay in PA a memorable one.

Yes, today’s my last day in PA. If you know me, please read on, because I’d have probably dedicated a paragraph to you. If I didn’t, then do know that all I have is well-wishes for you because you’ve definitely impacted my life in one way or another ðŸ˜Š If this doesn’t satisfy you, then drop me a text and I’ll give you a thank-you message :D HAHA!

If you don’t know me, but oh so rarely happen to have the time (which you probably don’t XD) to read this, then do go through it because, well-wishes is always good medicine, even for 3rd-party readers :D

For those who are wondering where I’m headed, I’m going to help my dad’s company – a lighting company. And of course, I’ll also be doing my freelance hosting/emceeing, so if your events need an emcee, feel free to contact me at my contact details below :D #MarketingOpportunity HAHA! XD

Alright, on with my heartfelt gratitude towards the people who’ve impacted me in People’s Association:

To my Tampines North CO team

CD Michelle Tung

I’ll always remember how you welcomed me to the “family” and not the “office” or “workplace” and how you’ve treated us like family – by being real, direct and understanding to our needs and schedule.

I also am amazed by the way you are able to handle all our GRLs with amazing tact and ability to deploy them and get them to “do work” because not all of them are easy people. So, whenever we have problems with our GRLs, you are the go-to person and one phone call from you = problem solved. Haha. Thanks also for shielding me from the more nasty and demanding GRLs and for believing in me when the going got tough :D

It has not been an easy ride definitely because of the nature of our ground work, but it has been a fun and meaningful ride! Thanks for everything and I’ll definitely drop by here and there to say hi :D

(Ex) DCD Teresa Oh

I’ll always remember how when I first came in, you went around speaking well of me to all the GRLs and telling them to help me and support me in any way they can J Really grateful to you for laying the relational foundation for me and all the GRLs which is one of the most important things you did for me :D

Thanks also for being super helpful in showing me all the SOPs that I need to abide by and also for pointing out to me all the “who’s who” in TN CO – who to go to for help and who to avoid and all the invisible social rules of the game :D Haha! Thanks for all these priceless advice J

Yup, all the best in your new CO and see you around! :D

DCD Kelly Koh

Will always remember the first day I reported to work and realised that my colleague Kelly that had been texting me was A GUY. HAHA.

Anyway, just wanna say thanks for being a bro and a great colleague. What I admire most about you is that you are the office’s problem solver. Even with SO MUCH WORK on your hands, you’ll still find the time to listen to our problems and help us think through it and offer a concrete solution – even when, sometimes, the problems are REALLY trivial.

Yeah, it’s amazing how you juggle all the (crazy) administrative demands in this paperwork-heavy and people-work-crazy organisation and yet maintain your family of 2 kids and still have time to go for drinks and even have time to do a recent wedding gig together…Haha

Yup, thanks for keeping the cog-work in the office going and thanks also for saving me several times :D Heehee. Take care and see you around bruh :D

DCD Jason Goh

Will always remember all your weird and intrusive questions when I first came to work. HAHA. And from there, all the cheeky comments and neh-flicks and all…LOL

Yes, thanks for being a great friend and colleague too :D What’s outstanding about you is how hands-on you are. Am always amazed at how you help save cost by setting up the tables and chairs yourself and sometimes with us instead of paying the vendor to do it. And whenever there’s a problem, you will also be the hands-on dude that will get your hands dirty in trying to solve the problem instead of just pushing it to a vendor to do it. I remember that time when we were trying to solve a burst toilet pipe problem and how you were there with the toolbox trying every knob until the problem was fixed. (I was busy re-directing the water flow elsewhere for our readers who thinks I eye-power…LOL)

Yep, thanks for integrating me into the office and committees gradually and teaching me the ropes and handles. Take care and see you around bruh :D

SCM Lee Lan

Will always remember you as the kindest colleague in the office :D You’re always looking out for the welfare of all the staff, ensuring we have enough food, drinks and emotional support and you even go the extra mile to offer to cover our duties at your own expense if we have too many events, even when you yourself have a truckload of work to clear!

Thanks for always putting others first ðŸ˜Š Your selflessness has always inspired me to be less selfish and to look out for others more.

May this heart of gold of yours continue to touch and impact many more lives as you handle CDWF and your other committees and the many events!

SCM Jeremy Ho

My neighbour! Haha! Thanks for all your help when I first came in! You were the first person I asked every question to in my first few months in office. All the simple questions like GRL committee contact list, where to get the files and stationery items and all the “who is this” and “where is that” questions that will probably piss myself off, you answered nicely and showed me readily ðŸ˜Š

Thanks for patiently showing me the ropes and for looking out for my events and pointing out the things that I will potentially miss out :D

Yup, really grateful for all your sincere and patient guidance! Take care and see you around :D

CM Wai Leong

Our office commando! HAHA! Will remember how when I first came in, you brought me everywhere like Tampines Changkat CC to collect stuff and to Tampines East CC for GRC CSC meeting, to Tampines round market to meet vendors, etc.

Thanks for teaching and showing me the way around when I first came in as well especially for CSC and of course will also remember the many running stints, drinking stints and our recent intense chats about stocks and money-related stuffs. Haha.

Thanks for everything bro and see you around :D

CM Selina Chan

Will never forget your honesty. You were new in TN CC and we barely knew each other. I remember after your 1st ever house visit - you asked me one of the most interesting questions. HAHA. You topped Jason for the “weird and intrusive questions” category. LOL. The only difference is you ask 1x good one and he asks thousands of all sorts of funny questions. HAHA. Will also always remember the day when you were supposed to smash cake in my face and you relented…and HOW MUCH YOU REGRETTED IT NOW! HAHAHA!

Yes, what I admire most about you is that you are the entire office’s most efficient paperwork machine. Your super-neat and attention to detail in your post-event reports, filing, templates, minutes, etc…will all give any OCD dude an orgasm. PA needs more people like you to sustain and uphold its paperwork-intensive nature of work. So, please stay and keep our administrative aspect spick and span…HAHA!

Yup, thanks for being a nice and chill colleague. See you around in our CC’s badminton court :D

CM Eddie Huang

Our CC’s 2nd commando! (We’re still trying to grapple with this fact…HAHA) Will remember you as a hardworking dude. It was a messy transition for you but you sat your ass down and worked it out bro so kudos to you for that!

Do take good care of CSC in the interim. Tough baby to take care of because of the sheer number to interest groups and ongoing number of programmes and activities…but don’t worry, as soon as the new staff comes in, you’ll throw the whole baby to him like how Wai Leong quickly unloaded CSC to me. HAHA!

Yup, thanks for being a helpful colleague bro. Take care and see you around :D

CME Jessica Chia

Our office’s å¼€å¿ƒæžœ! :D Will always remember you for filling our office with your contagious laughter and sweet praises :D You might think is a small thing but all your sweet praises really helps to boost the office morale ðŸ˜Š Really grateful for you because you make the office a more enjoyable place!

Thanks for always being so positive even though your desk always have a heap-load of paperwork to clear…like literally. HAHA. Really admire your drive to do all these mundane tasks with so much effort and attention to detail. We have a severe lack of people that are willing to do such seemingly “trivial” work so well. Most of my friends would probably get so bored doing that they’ll quit, but here you are, doing it very well and laughing and keeping the office morale up!

Yup, stay bubbly and may you enjoy your retirement soon enough! :D

CME Shaista

Will always remember you for your interesting Pakistani stories! Haha. After hearing your stories, it makes me feel like exploring this part of the world that I would now consider not-as-dangerous as it seems. Haha!

Thanks for all your administrative support as well! Grateful for all your help in helping to coordinate our events with the counter operations ðŸ˜Š

Yup, take care and see you around! :D

CSE Gillian Tan

Another one of our office veterans! Will always remember how you will firmly tell people off when they step over the line – be it customers or vendors or even our colleagues…Haha! Your ability to handle sticky situations is amazing! You have saved the counter countless number of times and without you to handle these situations, it would have been one of us CMs. Haha. So really thanks for being good at what you do because it frees us up to do many other committee-related work.

Apart from that, I also admire your ability to remain cheerful while clearing all that crazy amount of paperwork. Staff like yourself are really hard to find nowadays – efficient and not turned off by paperwork and firm in upholding your beliefs and office SOPs.

Yup, thanks for all your help all these years! Take care and also enjoy your retirement soon enough! Haha :D

CSE Karen Ong

Will always remember you as the stationery manager. HAHA! When I first came in you were the one who helped tidy my area and passed me my cashbox, gave me new file folders, file racks, sticker labels, forms, etc. Without you, my desk area would have been much less organised as it is now. (still quite messy la, but would’ve been worse...HAHA)

Yup, thanks also for all your patient help and guidance with the OnePA system, the different forms and different templates and how to submit them and get them filled, etc.

And yes, you’re also another veteran in office! Another rare office gem! Haha. Take care and I’ll see you around! :D

RCM Evangeline Ang

Will always remember you as the noisiest RCM! HAHAHA! Thanks for keeping the office alive with your laughter and banter! It’s never dull with you around in office. Haha.

Thanks also for all your help! In helping me with my event’s ticket sales and ticket printing and production and all the admin stuffs even when you didn’t need to help me! :D Appreciate all your help! ðŸ˜Š

Will also remember your cooking! Thanks for all the help and welfare! :D Take care and see you around! :D

RCM Cheryl Cheong

Will always remember you as one of the most helpful RCMs! :D I remember one night when we were both on night shift and it’s past 10pm already and you’re about to leave…but you still saw me working and offered to help me in any way that you can. Was touched by your selflessness and willingness to help ðŸ˜Š

Will also remember the many conversations we had and how your story has inspired me and better prepared me to handle life’s tragedies.

Thanks also for helping me here and there with my ticket cutting and stapling and many other administrative tasks that you didn’t need to help me to do but still did anyway ðŸ˜Š

Take care and see you around! :D

RCM Serene Sim

Will always remember our conversations in Zone 5 RC because it’s the nearest RC to our main event ground and we’d always be there early to wait for logistics delivery or be there last because we’re clearing up the RC after an event. Haha!

Thanks also for all your help here and there with our work! Take care and see you around!

RCM Irene Seah

Will always remember how I was supposed to drop some pails or buckets off at your RC but drove to the wrong place! HAHA! Sorry for my blur-ness that day…HAHA!

Wanna also say thanks for all your help rendered to me! Take care and see you around!

RCM Helen Tan

Will always remember you as the ticket-seller RCM! HAHA! When I first came in I remember there was some GRC CSC Zumba event tickets that need to be sold and if we didn’t sell well, it’d make us look bad. I think I passed you the tickets and you managed to sell most of it for me and I remember Teresa was saying “You better thank Helen for helping you!” HAHA! So here I am, saying my thanks for your help in my early days in TN CC! Haha!

Yup, thanks also for helping me with my many other events ticket sales and administrative tasks here and there too! Take care and see you around!

RCM Moses Lim

The latest addition to our RCM family! Haha…Will always remember you as the chill dude with a lot of wise Chinese sayings…Haha!

Haven’t had much opportunities to work with you so just wanna say do work hard and build strong relationships with your GRLs so that they will help you and all of us to grow and sustain the committee better :D

Take care and see you around!

To my Tampines GRC team

GCD Kelvin Thong

Will always remember you as the most approachable big boss ever. Haha. Appreciate the way you will come and chat with us as if we were friends for years. I remember when I was a new staff and you came and chat with me and after that I was asking my colleagues who were you. They were like “You don’t know? He’s our GCD, boss of the entire GRC” Haha!

Thanks also for helping to bring NTU ODAC’s Pumpfest into OTH this year :D Will never forget how you helped my NTU juniors to carry all the heavy logistics items when they were setting up for the event. When my juniors asked me who’s that, I always tell them “It’s my big boss” and they’ll all be shocked because they never expected my big boss to be so nice and approachable.

This is the one thing I admire of you, your humility and down-to-earth-ness as a person. Appreciate the many conversations we had as well and I pray that the (crazy, never-ending, sometimes beyond job-scope) workload will not kill your passion for life and for people ðŸ˜Š

Take care and see you around! :D

DCD Jonathan Lai

The cool biker dude from Changkat! Haha! Thanks for all your help for our GRC CSC events when I first came in. Appreciate your taking my calls and answering all my simple, simple questions and details.

I remember once during our GRC CSC Community Sports Festival 2015 where I asked you some stupid question pertaining to our event and I was like “Sorry for asking…” but you were like “No problems bro, when I was a new staff I also blur-blur one”. I was amazed by the chillness from you because you were running around the event site and still had to entertain my stupid question. HAHA!

Yup, take care bro and see you around in Tampines :D

DCD Jillian Ng

My emcee partner for Jason & Terri’s wedding! HAHA! Will never forget those funny moments during our rehearsal and on stage man!

Take care and see you around! :D

DCD Eddy Lim

Thanks for all the car rides here and there! Haha! And of course, will also remember all your funny stories and moments bro…Take care and see you around :D

DCD Zhi Han

Will always remember our GRC teambuilding in NACLI east coast where we were in the same group and kept cracking (distracting) jokes all the way…HAHA! Stay funny and awesome! See you around! :D

GRC CACC Head, Kevin Wong

Will always remember how you welcomed Judy and myself to the CACC team…by giving us a lot of CACC freebies at CACD’s office…Haha!

Just wanna say thanks for all your help for our CACC events! Thanks for sharing all your artists’ lobang, vendor lobang and all supplier contacts and ideas that you have. Without your help our life would be much, much harder.

Yup, thanks for being a pretty chill CACD head, pressuring us just enough and for always helping us whenever you can. Take care and see you around! :D

CM Iza

Kak Iza! Haha…Will always remember you for your super funny stories and advise that you gave me when I was a new staff! Haha…And also all the funny moments during our GRC CACC meetings and events!

Stay funny and awesome and continue to brighten the lives of the people around you! See you around!

CM Siti Maryam

Worked with you for only 1 CACC event and I’m gone! Haha! But just wanna say thanks for putting everything together as the spearheading division! Stay awesome and see you around! :D

CM Joey Sim

Will always remember you for your WhatsApp DP – some Pokémon…Is it a Lapras or a Dratini? HAHA! Anyway, wanna say thanks for the good company during our GRC CACC events :D All the best in Tampines West! I’m now your resident no more colleague liao! HAHA! See you around!

CM Alex Lee

Will always remember how hardworking you are bro…Even when you are on exam leave, you still came back to help anchor our recent GRC CSC meeting! All the best in taking CSC man, see you around! :D

CM Madeleine aka Maddie & CM Tiffany

Have to mention you both together because you guys are virtually ALWAYS TOGETHER. HAHA! Nonetheless, wanna say thanks for all the laughter and fun times during events! Stay bubbly and crazy and I believe you’ll make the many events you’ll be handling much more fun and enjoyable! :D

CM Si Hao

Will always remember how we lost the Frisbee competition in this year’s CED cup…HAHA! And we lost to CED’s team! LOL!

Just wanna say thanks for your help in helping me open your CC’s gantry for me to park a few times during GRC meetings…HAHA! Take care and see you around bro :D

CM Marco

The ever serious and work-oriented Marco! HAHA! Been great working with you in our GRC CSC events! Your paperwork is kilat man! All the best in Tampines East bro! See you around!

CM Melissa & CME Chew Yen

I know y’all are not like Maddie & Tiff but somehow, when I meet one of you, the other is also always around…So lemme dedicate a combined message to you both…HAHA! Just wanna say thanks for all the entertainment during our CSC courses! HAHA! Attending CSC courses have never been more fun until you guys took CSC! HAHA! Stay bubbly and continue to light up the many events that y’all will be handling! :D

CME Fawzaini

Zaini! The star celebrity of our GRC briskwalk! Everyone that came for our GRC briskwalk loves you bro! My residents also remember you and love you deep-deep! HAHA! Keep the passion and love for people bro and I’m sure you’ll be impacting many more lives in your work! Take care and see you around man!

CME Philson

The super-caring CSC brother! HAHA! That’s what I’ll always remember you as…Haha. You’re the only GRC colleague that will call me up and go through a checklist of items with me when I’m spearheading a GRC CSC event, ensuring that I don’t miss out or screw up anything. Haha! Thanks for all your help and guidance man! Really appreciate it! All the best in your career and I’ll see you around in Tampines bro!

To my (existing) cohort mates

CM Shaun Chua

#ShaunForCED! Courses have never been dull when you’re around bro. Thanks for all the crazy times during our induction and during our compulsory courses! I’m so glad the courses were compulsory man…Because it meant a great catch-up with you guys!

And of course, congrats on your PA staff award! Whenever your bosses doubt you, remember to show them your selfie with PM Lee Hsien Loong and you confirm rise to CED someday. HAHA!

Take care bro and take care of your Huixian too XD HAHA! See you around man!

CM Huixian Tan

Our 133 chio-bu-cum-bimbz! HAHAHA! JK :D Can totally see you rolling your eyes. HEEHEE. You’re another awesome friend who makes our compulsory courses enjoyable :D Really thankful for you if not my life in PA would be so much less colourful.

Yep, just wanna say åŠ æ²¹ðŸ’ª for your work! Stay positive and bubbly and I’m sure you’ll tide through your work year with ease. Take care and see you around! :D

CM Ashton Lin

Hey Mr. Air Steward! HAHA. And of course, also my 133 cohort æœ€çˆ± HEEHEE…Just wanna say thanks for the friendship :D You’ve also made our compulsory courses at NACLI worth traveling the distance for.

Also great seeing you around at CACC-level events :D All the best in your work and see you around :D

Youth Head, Bernard Chng

You’re one of those friends that value-add to my PA HQ visits. Usually I’ll be at PA HQ to collect stuff or submit some documents or for some meeting and bumping into you is always a plus because the conversations will perk up my day :D Haha. Yep, all the best in your work too and I’ll see you around! :D

OTH Senior Facilities Manager, Eng Thye

Will always the remember the day we bumped into each other at Our Tampines Hub and we were like “What are you doing here?” HAHA. Just wanna say thanks for helping my colleague and I with the fertiliser collection from OTH that day man! If not for you, I think we’d be pushing our trolley in OTH in circles, trying to get access to the place. Haha!

I’ll definitely see you around because I stay beside OTH…Haha! So, see you around man!

CM Kelvin Tan

Realised I haven’t met you for very long man…Haha. But will always remember you as the super-friendly dude. Haha! All the best at work and congrats on your marriage! Haha. See you around!

CM Sean Wong

I’ll always remember during induction you and Wayne were sitting together and I joined your table and you two were like…Serious AF. HAHA! But after knowing you guys…dayum, you guys really know how to look serious. HAHAHA!

Thanks for all the car rides here and there throughout our PA life man! And of course, thanks for making courses at NACLI worth looking forward to…HAHA! Without you guys, those courses would’ve bore the hell out of me. Haha.

And congrats on your marriage! All the best in your work and in building your new family! See you around bro!

CM Wei Siong

Also haven’t met you in a 1000 years man! Will always remember you as the super nice cohort mate. You’re always smiling, soft-spoken and well-mannered. Sure on very good terms with your GRLs right? HAHA. Anyway, just wanna say all the best for your work and I’ll see you around! :D

CM Alex Koh

Another cohort mate that I haven’t met in ages! Haha! And yes, you’re another super nice dude! All the best in PA man! Take care and see you around! :D

CM Desmond Vincent

Our all-star grassroots adviser in the making! Waiting for the day you become an MP bro. All your super politically-correct statements of conviction shared by you during our induction period have made a great impact on all of our lives bro. HAHA! Keep the fire, keep the passion and one day, if I’m staying in your constituency, I’ll cast you that vote. HAHA! Yup, take care and see you around bro!

CM Hugo Liew

Hugo boss! LOL! Also been ages since we’ve met and I hope you’re doing well bro. Will always remember our overnight induction camp in NACLI where we played more than learn. HAHA! Thanks also for making our courses at NACLI something to look forward to man…Haha! Yup, take care and see you around bro!

HQ gang: Nadira, Kamini & Mei Shi

Will never forget our overnight induction camp in NACLI man! The langgar lorry and all the crazy jokes and moments we had! HAHA! Stay crazy, bubbly and awesome and I’m sure you guys will continue to lighten up your office environment and make your respective departments a more enjoyable place to be in! Yup, take care and see you all around! :D

SW CDC AM Siti Nur Ida

You would have been in the HQ gang above if not for your new position! HAHA! Still remember the day when you were super sad that you were shifted out mainly because of the traveling distance to work. But also really glad to hear that you totally love your new SW CDC family! Haha!

Will also never forget you as my emcee partner for our induction cohort! Haha! Good times! Stay bubbly and awesome and I’m sure you’ll be a great blessing to your department! See you around! :D

To my HQ Community Sports Division team

HQ CSD Manager, Ryan Teo

Will always remember when you first joined PA and came to my event and where I gave you a very honest picture of what’s happening at CO level…Haha!

And from there, you’ve came for numerous number of our CSC meetings and GRC CSC meetings. This is unprecedented as a HQ CSD staff even to my GRLs. So really, kudos to you for really coming down to the ground level to hear from us and to communicate HQ CSD’s plans to us clearly.

Yeah, really admire your hardworking-ness in meeting us where we are and also your patience in always nicely chasing us for reports and statistics. I see a million reasons why you could be pek-cek with us man – you have tons of your own HQ collaborations, programmes and events and you still gotta handle the CSCs in your district…No easy task man, but I’ve seen that you’ve done a great job!

Yup, really thanks for your help thus far and all your prompt responses to our requests! Stay awesome and grow HQ CSD to more than what it is now!

To my HQ Community Arts & Culture Division team

DD Sheng Heng

I’ll always remember your phone call to me really long time back, asking about my PAssionArts event and whether I’m getting enough support from HQ. That phone call, made me miss my turn and made me late for my GRC CSC meeting by the way. HAHA!

Nonetheless thanks for being a rather approachable boss. During CACD events or meetings, you’ll always come up to us and have a lil’ chit-chat and make us feel comfortable.

Yup, thanks for everything and all the best in your career!

AD Julian Chua

You always seem like a stern guy to me. But that changed when I handed you some CACD report for your signature some time back and you gave a warm smile and hearty reply “Thank you Jonavan!” Haha.

Apart from that, will also always remember about how you and your Aljunied CACC team passionately shared about your PAF2015 (or is it PAF2016?) project on the house model painting or something like that. Could feel that you guys were a team and really into the project as you all shared about it and that is something that many CACCs don’t have. Whether it’s the workload that we CMs have, or whether it’s our CACC GRLs, or whether it’s the CCC that’s not supportive, etc… I hope that the problem can be fixed so that we can truly see a vibrant artistic community supported by this PAssionArts movement.

Yup, all the best in your career and may you take CACD to greater heights!

To my un-classified PA friends XD

CM Ying Min

My fellow CACC cum CSC friend! Haha! Always saw you at HQ CSD or CACD meetings and events but never really spoke to you until some course at NACLI I think? Thanks to Mag actually. HAHA!

From there, I’m really glad to have a friend to sit with at HQ CSD & CACD meetings and events and to chat about deeper issues pertaining to our work and our organisation. Thanks for sharing your insights, struggles and joys about your daily grind! And I’m also amazed that in spite of all the struggles, you are always still able to end on a positive note. ðŸ˜Š

Your stories have inspired me and I’m really happy to find someone that I can identify with pertaining to our job. Not many of my PA friends will cover themes like organisational-purpose VS personal-fulfilment, PA’s systems, structures and management’s pros and cons and how things can change and how can we better fit in this huge organisation and stuff. Haha.

Really appreciate those moments. So, hang in there and keep giving your best and staying positive! I’m sure you’ll make it! Take care and keep in touch! ðŸ˜Š

CM Mabelline Hara Tok!

Will always remember your super interesting full name…HAHA! And yes I remember meeting you at a CPR + AED refresher course! You were my CPR buddy! I’m pretty sure you remembered that…LOL! And what made me remember you is your really outgoing and bubbly personality. Your smile and laughter really lit up the room.

Yup, stay amazing and I’m sure these gifts of yours will touch the people around you! Take care and keep in touch! :D

Senior Learning Facilitator, Lim Zhi Min

My long-time friend since your SMU days and since my…pre-army days? I’ve lost track. Haha! But really nice catching up with you again in PA after so long. Hope you are doing well in NACLI! Keep that brilliant mind of yours bright and intellectual because that’s the Zhi Min I’ve always known. Take care and all the best in your career man! See you around!

CM Mangeswary

My emcee partner at PA Staff Awards 2015 and our PA uniform model! HAHA! Was great knowing through that event! Your positive outlook, openness and chatty self is really your outstanding trait! May you continue to impact the many lives in your CO! Take care and see you around!

HR Manager, Catherine Liew

I think almost everyone knows you…Haha…But Manges & I got to know you a lil’ more during the PA staff awards 2015 preparations. And I’ll never forget one remark you made to me during our lunch-time conversation where I was talking about how we’re all very status-quo, paperwork, stick-to-the-rules oriented and not innovative and stuff. Your amazing and terse remark went something like that “I think you should work in the corporate sector and not in this line.”
So hey, your prophecy came to pass! LOL! HAHA!

And I’ll also always remember when you interviewed me when I first got the job and you were talking about my pay and then I asked you back “So your pay also same as mine?” and you were like half-roll-eyes-half-stare-at-me-in-disbelief like…What kinda question is this? LOL.

Anyway, just wanna say thanks for all your help in my many HR issues :D Sorry for giving you more work XD HAHA! Yep, all the best in your career in PA!

Youth Manager, Viting Cheng

I’ll always remember how my cohort mates introduced me as Tinkerbell to you and how you were super nice about it with the nice smile and friendly handshake when you probably were like 1000% amused at my super-gay-attract-attention outfit. HAHAHA!

Yep, thanks for the many conversations in-between and the lil’ insights into your life as a youth manager :D All the best in your work and see you around! :D

CM Victor Lee

My on-course bf XD HAHA! Nice knowing you through all our courses in PA man! Enjoyed the many conversations with you bro! Take care and see you around!  ♥ HEEHEE

CM Eileen Lim

Another on-course friend! Nice knowing you through PA courses too! Thanks for being a nice friend :D Take care and keep in touch :D

THE END

For those who made it here and didn’t find your name, please know that all I have is well-wishes for you because you’ve definitely impacted my life in one way or another! J If this doesn’t satisfy you, then drop me a text and I’ll give you a thank-you message :D HAHA!

Yup, all the best everyone! Our line of work is never easy, but the result of our work will have a huge impact on our society at large.

So stay strong, stay positive and know that all that we are doing is changing people’s lives even though they may not appreciate it! J åŠ æ²¹!

If you finished reading that longgggggg essay, then congratulations! I see that you have an impressive amount of perseverance in your soul. HAHA.

After I sent this out, I received many messages over WhatsApp and Instagram-story from my friends thanking me for the dedication. Here's some of the more pertinent ones:

From my on-course friend Eileen :D
From my 133rd cohort mate, Hui Xian :D
From my GRC colleague Madeleine :D

From my 132nd cohort mate Nadira :D

From my ex-DCD Teresa :D
Not all of the replies came via Whatsapp and Intagram-story though. Some of them replied via email... -.-" Thankfully I forgot my laptop charger when returning my whole set of PA-issued computer and accessories to HQ. So I went back to office to get it...And since I'm back in office, 顺便打开电脑one last time to see if anyone responded. Haha.

Here's some of the heartwarming responses...even from people who don't know me! HAHA!

From my big boss, Kelvin Thong :D 
From my GRC colleague, Fawzaini! :D
From a random PA colleague!

From another random PA colleague! :D

From my GRC colleague Zhihan :D

Well, those replies were really sweet and nice. I appreciate the effort taken to reply! :D But the most unexpected reply came at 1:12am the next day.

By then, my laptop was already returned to HQ and there was no way I could ever again check my PA email. But of course, my friends sent it to me.

I was actually still out drinking with my colleagues and talking really candidly about our committees and work in Tampines North CO till about 2:45am when I reached home. I checked my WhatsApp and saw a text from my friend saying "你红了" followed by a screenshot of his email as shown below:

Reply from the Chief Executive Director (CED) of PA, Desmond Tan.
I WAS MIND-BLOWN. I totally DID NOT expect the Chief Executive Director (CED) of People's Association to even care about an email from a small fry like me.

But hey, it shows that our CED makes an effort to remember even us managers, slogging it out at ground level trying to make a difference in our 1 out of the 89 constituencies in Singapore.

So to CED Desmond, thanks for the heartwarming and encouraging reply! It not only encourages me, but it has also warmed the hearts of the many colleagues who read it. And oh, I didn't update you that, I have already left HoGC - Heart of God Church - and am now a member of Hope Church Singapore :D Haha.

Hope we'll meet again some day and hopefully by then, you'll be an even more influential member in the public service or in Parliament. We really do need more men of God like you in senior governmental positions so that you can steer the nation the right, Godly way.

Yup, that was my resignation essay saga. All my PA group chats were abuzz with the digital commotion I made. Even my friends who were already out of PA for like...a long time, also got to hear of it because their ex-colleagues were talking about it! LOL.

3. Desk Clearing

Another major chapter of exit management would be the desk clearing process. I remember that day very clearly...

It was my last Tuesday in Tampines North. This meant that our weekly Tuesday IPPT Kakis will be the last event I am attending as a staff-in-charge.

I remember doing a poll on Instagram-story asking "Last IPPT kakis session as staff-in-charge. How should I feel?"

Instragram-story poll
Apparently, 63% of my friends think that I should feel happy. HAHA! But truth is, I was feeling really sad that night :(

The participants were thanking me for putting this weekly event together and saying their "take care", "all the best" and "see you around"s that night. The event ended at around 8:45pm. I slowly pushed the trolley of logistics items back to my office for the last time...

I was in no hurry that night. In silence and solitude, I slowly pushed the logistics trolley through Sunplaza Park, savouring every moment of it while it lasts and thinking back of all the good memories I had as a staff in Tampines North CO.

It was also my last night shift as the duty officer that night. After all my other night shift colleagues said their well-wishes to me and left for home, it was just me in the office. This is the time when I will turn on our office's Bluetooth speaker and put on shuffle my Spotify playlist.

I remember the first song that played from my "Songs of Faith" playlist. It's "Keep Making Me" by Sidewalk Prophets. As the song played, I could sense the Holy Spirit speaking to me through the song.

The message from Him went something like "In this life, there will be many changes, many different seasons, many major and minor transitions. Such is the nature of life - transient. But in all of it, I am making you. I am pruning you. I am moulding you until you reach a point where you can truly live out the lyrics of the song and live for the One who is not transient but everlasting."

It was gentle visit from the Holy Spirit so I didn't end up in a pool of tears and conviction. Haha. So yep, here's the lyric video of the song below and the lyrics of the song.


Keep Making Me
By Sidewalk Prophets

Make me broken
So I can be healed
'Cause I'm so calloused
And now I can't feel
I want to run to You
With heart wide open
Make me broken

Make me empty
So I can be filled
'Cause I'm still holding
Onto my will
And I'm completed
When you are with me
Make me empty

Chorus:
'Til You are my one desire
'Til You are my one true love
'Til You are my breath, my everything
Lord, please keep making me

Make me lonely
So I can be Yours
'Til I want no one
More than You, Lord
'Cause in the darkness
I know You will hold me
Make me lonely

Against this backdrop of music, I began to pack and clear my desk. I have a lot of photos with my cohort mates and colleagues pasted all over my desk area. Removing them was a really emotional and sentimental process because tearing them off my desk walls is like removing a part of my history from the place it was made.

And I remember one of my colleagues who had worked in Tampines North CO for about 20 years made a remark when I was first putting up all these photos at my desk about 1.5 years ago "I can see you really like it here. Making your desk a very comfortable place for yourself. I believe you will stay long"

I don't think I stayed long at all compared to you my friend. Haha! But I did out-stay my 2 predecessors who only stayed on the job for a mere 1 year and the other only for 6 months! So yeah, I guess I stayed long enough? Haha!

Here's the scene of me removing my desk's photos and memories:



Yup, that was it. I am officially out of Tampines North Constituency Office.

4. Exit Clearance

Well, that was not all. The final chapter in this exit management process would be your exit clearance. This involves you going over to PA HQ and returning your PA-issued computer accessories and staff pass.

As I walking into PA HQ with my staff pass in hand, a wave of sentimentalism hit me. IT'S GOING TO MY LAST TIME EVER TOUCHING AND FEELING THIS STAFF PASS.

Returning my staff pass to PA HQ
Yes, that's the exact photo I posted on Insta-story and Snapchat and guess what? Some of my friends were laughing at my face on the pass. HAHA! YES, I KNOW. I LOOK LIKE BERAK. BUT NOW'S NOT THE TIME TO LAUGH AT IT OK? HAHAHA!

So yeah, that's about it. 4 nice chapters of my exit management story.

Let me end of this post with a photo that my colleague took of me before she went on leave. She was saying something like "I won't be able to see you on your last day as I will be overseas! :( So lemme a take a photo of you now in remembrance." - and at the same time also to show that her phone takes better pictures than mine...LOL

In remembrance of Constituency Manager Jonavan Lee of Tampines North Constituency Office
Yup, I'm out! Stay tuned for my signature series of "My Experience" post on "My People's Association Experience"

Hope to publish that one before I start work in my dad's company XD

No comments:

Post a Comment