Saturday 19 June 2010

Divine Intervention

Oh those were the days where we had to chiong-sua in FBO + matador, dig shellscrape & fire trenches in SBO, scream "Section, ADVANCE!!!" at the top of your lungs, volunteer each other to collect re-sup for rations and jerry cans, shag yourself out trying to pass SOC and screw yourself up when caught trying to chao-keng.

I'll definitely miss those days...but I'll definitely not wanna re-live those days. I'll also not be living the rest of my NSF life shouting and disciplining recruits and trying to please my CSM & OC for nights out...My new post says that I won't even need my IBA (Integrated Body Armour), helmet, PT kit, field pack and my 10 pack items any longer!! All I need is my smart no.4 :)

My new post is...Tekong's Transport Indenter or something like that. Basically I'm an ADMIN SPEC!! :) WHOO HOO!!! I'll be organising the ferry timings and bus timings from Pasir Ris to SFT to TFT and back. :D

The question is, how did I manage to kio that position when I'm already posted to School 4?? It all started like this...

We all just came back from lunch and were seated sleazily in the lecture theatre waiting for our next lesson when we were given another 30mins break. So...everyone simply laid their heads on the table and slept. Me? I was feeling kinda garang at that time so I decided to exit the lecture theatre and do pull-ups just outside it. That was when I saw a HQ spec with his assistant walking into our lecture theatre wanting to call out his shortlisted candidates for that coveted post.

3SG Aidross (HQ BMTC recruiter) upon seeing the lecture theatre full of sleeping specs and w/o a commander on site decided to wait for the course commander to come back before he went in to call out the privileged, shortlisted few for interview. (I am NOT one of the shortlisted specs)

That was when I initiated a conversation with him...which eventually led to me being his colleague :D Haha...He told me that he already spoken to most of the shortlisted specs and have crossed out most of their names except 3SG Jason Ooi...So we both will be interviewed by 3SG Aidross boss - a retired SAF major. So we booked out for our interview at SFT. So off we went...knowing that Jason and myself have a 50-50 chance of getting this coveted post :D

Upon seeing his boss I simply smiled and talked with him. After speaking a while, I cracked a joke which really tickled his friend and his funny bone...Haha...Mr. Boss was saying how difficult it is to choose between the two of us...So I said "Why not you get the two of us to close our eyes and turn around and then you come and tap the one your prefer. So the one not tapped don't get the post lor...HAHA!" Mr. Boss and his friend burst into laughter...Whew, thank God my joke worked. Haha! Being myself almost always works :)

So after that, Mr. Boss told the 2 of us to go one side while he and 3SG Aidross and another spec discuss who should get the post. So, I chatted with Jason till they returned with another set of questions...and my conversation with Jason went on nervously...Haha!

Finally, they came back with the answer. They didn't want to tell us on the spot actually, but we insisted. And guess what?? I GOT THE JOB!! :D

Mr. Boss then walked over and told us why he chose me..."We need a guy that is good at talking, writing and basically have good PR and one that knows how to keep smiling even when you have to deal with difficult people" With that he pointed at my still-grinning face...HAHA! Thank God he appreciates me being a very smilely person...not many people in the SAF appreciates that. And the two specs who were with him also recommended me :) So yeah!

Jason was really emo, so I shook his hand and tried to console him but to no avail...haha.

Before the interview I was telling God "I can't decide which posting I one...to influence lives as a sec-com or to have a slack post and devote my time to doing other more productive things...So God, You choose. I'll give this post a shot and if I don't get it, then I'll take it as You want me in coy line."

So yup, here I am thanking God for this coveted position. Haha!

AND, I was contemplating getting an Atten C today because I had a very bad diarrhea again this morning. Whew! Thank God I didn't. And thank God I didn't decide to go to sleep like the rest but instead, went out to do pull-ups. Thank God for orchestrating all these man! Hallelujah!

To God be the Glory! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment