Saturday 30 January 2010

Navigation Package

It's been 2 weeks since this happened so I shall try to relate the details of my recent navigation exercise... :D

Exercise Gypsy in Lower Mandai was a pretty cool one :D They simply gave us the MGR of our startpoint, 2 checkpoints, 2 long points and 1 end point and threw us into the startpoint in the jungle.

The bad thing about this was...it rained the first half of the day so when we started our navigation exercise, it was wet and a few places were waterlogged... -_-" Anyway...

We found the first checkpoint only after like 30mins+? The first checkpoint was like 1km? Can't exactly remember but we drifted off the compass' azimuth...haha. Thank God we found another checkpoint with another group there who gave us the MGR of where we were. From there we recalculated the azimuth and direction to head to our checkpoint :) Whew...

Next checkpoint was the most vivid memory to me...HAHA. FYI, I was the plotter...the one who marks out our progress on the map. Here goes the story...

We were heading in the right direction and all. We were supposed to hit a road track in like 300m and we would follow it to our checkpoint. The problem was...there was a stream before the road track and that stream wasn't reflected on the map. So when we hit the stream, some of my group mates straight away jumped to conclusion that it was the track that we're supposed to hit.

I objected, telling them that this stream can't possibly be the track because a track is a track - hard ground with rocks and all - and a stream is a stream - soft soil! Even an idiot can tell that. Haha! But they rationalised saying "Oh it rained this whole morning to afternoon la...so maybe the track is waterlogged like that now la..." Ok, granted but I had 2 more reasons for my belief that the stream wasn't the track...

According to our pacer, our track is at least a good few hundred metres ahead and when I calculated the azimuth of the "track", it is totally off when compared to the azimuth of the real track that was on the map. But they refused, rationalising "Oh, the pacer paced inaccurate la because we skirt around bounds" How off can the pacer be? Unless he didn't do his job. But he was.

As for the track azimuth: "Oh, the track isn't straight what...it will wind left and right thus the azimuth will not be exact." Hello, the general aziumuth or general direction which the "track" a.k.a. stream is leading is way off the one on the map!

Although I knew that they were most probably wrong, I didn't insist on my way. Why? Because if they followed my instructions and get lost, they'd be complaining and whining about me. So I relented in order to avoid their unpruned character issues. haha.

So we followed the instructions of the "leaders" (or rather more blatantly outspoken ones in the group) to follow the stream (NOT TRACK) and guess what? We got LOST :)

Upon being lost, we simply headed south all the way because we'd hit the highway if we did.

My gosh, if I was the one who suggested following the stream and if they were the ones suggesting going beyond that...I'd kena kao-peh by them. I felt like kao-peh-ing them as well, but didn't la. I mean, what do you get out of it? People like to harp on others' weaknesses & mistakes and when the same is done to them, their face grow blacker than the africans. Haha.

So I do unto others what I'd want others to do unto me...but usually, in this carnal, Christ-less world, it isn't reciprocated.

Anyway, that's the main thing I learnt I guess...grace. :D To them it was just another exercise in the jungle, to me each day brings a different facet of your character out. I need the love of Christ to wash my eyes to see my friends the way Christ sees them, cos I think I ain't any better.

There's always some weakness to point out and some flaw to pick, but sometimes, it's just better to love :)

My next navigation is Exercise Wanderer in Tekong!! May the good Lord lead me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment