Friday 26 August 2011

1st 3 weeks in NTU + My mini b'day celebration :D

My first 3 weeks in NTU have been awesome! :D Thanks to my awesome friends Chor Seng, Sam, Kai Sen and Yong Jian :)

Without them my social and academic life would've been less rich. Haha.

So yup, after my previous dedicated blog post about my new room-mate, Tian Wei, here's a picture of myself and Mr. Liang :D

Tian Wei & Me :D

Yup, he's a really nice, tenor-ranged, polite and boomer-ish guy :D Haha. One night we chatted until 2am!! We talked about the differences between China & Singapore...in terms of our armies, education, lifestyle, living conditions, etc...

And yes, we conversed in CHINESE!! Chor Seng & Kai Sen kept asking me "In English or Chinese??" There are some instances where I could not understand his statement because of his speaking speed, coupled with his china slurs and slang. But overall, communication was coherent. Haha!

Yup, a lil' look into my room...

Me & my bed :D

Don't I look like in BMT? My admin attire makes it feel so bunk-ish. Haha. Ignore my white specs and long hair...Lols.

Ta-da! I brought a stand fan there! Hahaha!

If you're wondering who took photo of us...It was my parents. Haha. Thank God for my awesome parents who drove me to school and dropped off the fan and a truckload of other stuffs. I also brought the vacuum cleaner there to clean up the massively dusty room. Haha.

Anyway, I don't really study at my desk at night...because at night, there are tons of those flying ants! That's because my windows are facing the football / rugby / ultimate-frisbee field and my door is facing the pond... -__-"

Each hall has certain facilities such as a TV room, reading room, games room, etc...I will be seen at the reading room studying for hours. Compared to my room, the reading room is air-conditioned, has wireless connection and is free of FLYING ANTS!!! Haha!

Yup, I've studied there daily and Shi Jun has joined me twice while his roommate, Andy has joined me once. They're both from Heart of God church :)

Talking about them, they stay just ONE FLOOR above me! Haha! We didn't know that until 2nd week I think, when we chatted. Haha.

The first time I went to their room was last week. I went to meet them at their room before proceeding down for Hall Dinner.

Upon entry, the first thing I noticed is that Shi Jun and Andy both brought their own stand fans!! Haha! That is what inspired me to bring mine!! HAHA!

The 2nd thing I noticed was Shi Jun's crazy collection of books!! It was shelved neatly across his work-space, fully occupying it! It was a mini library!!

3rd thing I noticed was Andy's guitar. Haha. That also inspired me to bring mine. Lols!

Yup, now a little look into our lunch time and lecture time :)

Sabrina & Kai Sen bonding over a game of Air Hockey on my iPad. :D :D

Yup, Sabrina has met us and we have met Sabrina twice for lunch :) Once in Canteen A - all the way in North Spine - and another in Canteen B - At our territory, South Spine :D

We've also lunched with the Heart of God members and bumped into them several times as well. Haha.

Mr Smarty Pants taking a nap because the lecture was too fundamental for him...Haha! :P

This is just one picture, there's another of Chor Seng sleeping as well. You can go find on facebook...taken and uploaded by Sam. Chor Seng slept the most la basically...then after he wake up, he'll teach us how to solve the tutorial problems...Hahaha.

Talking about Sam...I had an interesting conversation with him recently :) Before that, I have to let you know the back-drop of the whole story. Haha.

If you didn't know...You definitely wouldn't know unless you've spoken to me in NTU...I went for an AUDITION! :D Haha. There's a jamming CCA in NTU...it's called "Jazz and Blues".

The audition requirements are:
1) You present your own item.
2) You perform one song from their setlist of 3 songs which they sent 1 week before the auditions.

The audition was held in a relative big jamming studio with their band. Their band will play and you'll have to blend in with them.

I was kinda nervous so I only displayed like 70 - 75% of my musical prowess. Haha!

The first thing I did was sing "Autumn Leaves" solo. I chose that song from their set list of 3 songs. When they said "sing solo without music", I was like "Whoa! Stressed sia!" HAHAHA! The drummer was like "Ya, come here very stressed hor?" in a joking and friendly way. Haha.

You can go hear that song on Youtube...I sang the Nat King Cole version. That song was full of vibrato at the end of every phrase and that was exactly what I did. Haha. I did a few rehearsals and sang it to Shi Jun, Chor, Kai Sen and Sam briefly. Haha.

While I was singing, the Indian girl was smiling encouragingly and swaying as I sang...Haha. The guys were more tao...listening intently. Haha.

Next up, I presented my personal item. I told them I'm doing a song by "Jason Mraz" and they were like "Don't tell me it's I'm Yours again..." Haha. I was like "Of course not, I'm not so predictable..." with a smirk. HAHA!

I performed the song "Prettiest Friend" by Jason Mraz :D It's an awesome song! Super sweet, acoustic love song.

Finally, they wanted to know if I'm good at my instrument. I took their guitar and started playing autumn leaves with the band. I basically played lead all the way and did a little rhythms and arpeggios here and there to fill in the gaps.

After everything, the administrator, a chinese girl, who was looking intently at my guitar fingering and scales, asked "So Jonavan, are you interested in joining sub-committee?" I was like "Sure! :) What appointments are there?"

After rattling off all the standard appointments...I told her I just like to organize events and see it happen. So she was like "So anything la?" I went "Err...yup." HAHA!

Before I left, of course we exchanged pleasantries and the drummer told me "Hey, see you soon bro!"

That was a statement of hope :D HAHA! "See you" means a lot. Haha. The other hopeful question was posed by that girl "So do you want to join sub-comm?" HAHAHA!

Now, back to my conversation with Sam! HAHA! Sam was asking me "Eh, so how's your audition" I related everything to him in the above paragraphs. Haha.

I was telling him...whoa...I nervous sia...only showcased 70 - 75% of my skill nia. Haha.

Then he remarked "Aiya, don't worry la...You sure get in one...You always so lucky."
I was like "Huh? Lucky? What makes you say that?"

Sam then went on..."Aiya, you always very lucky what. In army get admin spec, 8-5 post, last minute appeal to NTU also can get in...Luck is on your side. Haha!"

Then came my standard, philosophical reply "That's not luck bro. That's called divine engineering. Haha. That's called the favour of God. You come church with me this Sunday you also can have." HAHA!

But that brought up and interesting point. People are observing your lives. The way you live and conduct yourself. Yup, this made me realize that when you walk in favour with God, God'll bless you and people will be able to see it evidently.

I heard and read about such stuffs whereby people will see God's hand in His children's lives and here I am experiencing it firsthand on a smaller scale. Haha.

Thank God. All that I am today is really not my merit. I am but an ordinary person doing my best and God is paving the way, opening doors and putting people into my life to enrich my life. I recognize God's hand in my life and am eternally grateful. :)

Yup, where were we? Oh yes...my NTU life...And oh, just yesterday on Thursday, Hong Hwee dropped by NTU to come and see us! :D Haha. I went over to Chor Seng & Kai Sen's hall in Hall 9.

We were initially studying at Hall 15 when suddenly Hong Hwee SMSed Chor Seng "Hey, I'm coming over tonight with Chi Wen" Haha.

So Hong Hwee fetched us in his family's car from Hall 15 to Chor Seng & Kai Sen's Hall - Hall 9. Upon arrival, Hong Hwee took out 3 huge plastic bags of powdered iced-milo, Oreo, Hello Pandas, sweets, apples and all sorts of goodies and gave it to us! Hallelujah! :) Haha!

In their room, they turned on their air-con for the first time! HAHA! In NTU, only the newer halls are fitted with air-con. And to use the air-con, you have to purchase the air-con card...It is a stored-value card. When you insert the card into the slot, you can turn on the aircon. It costs 20cents per hour. Haha.

Yup, we are super thankful to Hong Hwee for dropping by and making us feel loved and giving us good stuff. Thanks Hong Hwee! :) Haha. Sadly, we were so busy chit-chatting that we forgot to take a picture. Haha. Oh well, there's always next time :D

I was browsing through my picture album on my computer and found out that I didn't blog about this!

It was my mini-birthday celebration with my grandmother (mum's side) :D

Poh-poh, Jeravan, me, Jerina & Mummy :D

Take 2 :D

Take 3 with Daddy :D

Yup, had an awesome meal at Bedok point and hearing Grandmother stories...literally. Haha. But my grandma's stories are interesting and somewhat inspiring and lesson-learning as she shares her stories with my mum's sisters, with her church members and leaders last time, etc...

All these stories give me insight to know what people look out for and how small things can greatly affect relationships.

Yup, life's good thus far. :) There's only a huge burden in my heart toward certain stuffs in Heart of God recently. I've spoken to my leaders about it...halfway...Haha. Awaiting our next meeting and hopefully things'll work out...not to the way I want it and not the way the church wants it, but to the way God wants it.

Hallelujah! Till next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment