Tuesday 7 August 2012

Pre-FOOT 2012! :D

If you're wondering what FOOT is...F.O.O.T stands for Freshman Overseas Orientation Trip. Here are a few definitions of it...

"It's a magical process that will bond everyone in the ODAC family" Peak Siah - "Ms NTU ODAC" That was what she said during our Local Senior's Camp at the SRC grandstand.

"It's an annual overseas orientation camp organized by NTU ODAC's F.O.O.T committee" - some random blogger.

For me, FOOT has been the most fun, exciting, meaningful and sporty camp I've ever been too! :) The outdoor elements of the camp such as rock-climbing, dragon-boating, canoe-polo-ing and the overseas element which incorporates trekking and all really helps to bond us together.

I know, it's not all that sporty but I'm not sporty so ODAC is pretty sporty to me...HAHA! If I were to give it a definition, I'd say "FOOT is an orientation camp unlike any other because it's main focus is on integrating you into the ODAC family."

For other camps like sports camp, insignia, etc...it's more sexual and elitist...and more of wanting to exploit you rather than accept and bond you into their family. That's the feel I get when my freshies tell me about their camps la...haha! Anyway....

Through this camp, I've made really good friends and fallen in love with many ODAC mates! I don't usually use the term "fall in love" but when I do, I mean I really love the friends I made.

The last camp that I really fell in love with people is many years ago in my previous church's STRECH camp 2009! Yeash, that's THREE YEARS AGO!! That's how camp-deprived I've been! HAHAHA!

But then again, not all camps will forge such strong friendships like my last STRETCH camp and FOOT...so really, kudos to all the people who made it possible! :)

Yup, I wasn't all too excited about the camp, but I was moderately excited. HAHA! So after all the social engineering and arranging of seniors into the 4 orientation groups, I finally landed in DOMA!

Yeash, my orientation group name in FOOT is DOMA!! :) Doma is an active volcano found in Papua New Guinea...This year's theme is volcanoes...So the 4 orientation group's names are:

Osar
Doma
Aira
Cerro

Yes, they spell ODAC! OutDoor Adventure Club! Haha. Anyway, this post is on the pre-FOOT events so lemme start with the first meeting with the DOMA seniors :)

Our first meeting was held at La Salle arts school :) After eating chicken rice for dinner together at some chicken rice shop near Pomo, we headed down there :D
DOMA! :)
From top left, clockwise direction we have Wei Chong, Ryan Ng, Chor Seng (GL), Xuan Qi (GL), Yvonne, Leslie, Yong Qing, Vanessa, Gladys, Jian Wen, Ai Ting, Karen, Jayren, Ah Huat and ME! :)

In total there are at least 20+ seniors...some couldn't make it to take the picture above and some were only free for like 1 reece trip...Haha. Nevertheless, we need all the help we can get :)

First meeting was awesome enough :) The seniors were all really cooperative, insightful and fun-loving. Insightful because most of them have been to like FOOT for 2 to 3 times...With the record holder Jayren who been to FOOT for like 6 times?

If you're wondering why, he's been to FOOT since his undergraduate days and now his post-graduate days...he's pursuing his Master's degree :D

Yup, subsequently we had a few outings...this one's the most significant - we met for dinner at Plaza Sing and then went to St. Games at the Cathay to play and bond :)

And oh, since our group Doma sounds like Domo...we decided to make Domo our mascot. LOL! So while dinnering, I spotted a huge DOMO sitting there waiting for us to take photo with it...HAHAHA!

Doma with Domo! :D
Take 2 with me not blocking Terry this time...LOL!
Wii-ing and kinect-dancing at St. Games was phenomenal...What started out to be a conservative bunch of young adults slowly became a boisterous group of monsters screaming, shouting, laughing, gesticulating and grooving to the beat. HAHAHA!

One of the main monsters was Chor Seng...LOL!!

Chor Seng the crazy dancer...LOL!
Chor Seng in action! :D LOL!
Our GLs in action! Haha! For some reason, Chor Seng beat everyone in Just Dance 3 and Kinect Dance...One of the probable explanations is...because he's bigger in size, his movements and actions are more easily caught by the motion sensor on the Kinect console, thus his dancing victory. HAHAHA!

GLs Aizai in action! :D Haha! :D
Just kidding! Ok la, Chor Seng really know how to shake and move. The word is "daring" haha...Other than daring, his moves are also pretty provocative...for some reason...HAHA!

Here's a video of Chor Seng and Gladys dancing! Haha!



If the video is too much to handle, maybe a picture of them dancing will help you get an idea of their awesome-ness. HAHA! :P

Gladys & Chor Seng in action! :)
Yup, they're the best dancers in DOMA la...Undeniably...They win hands down. HAHAHA! Below are a few other wannabe dancers in DOMA trying not to look so bad when dancing as compared to Chor Seng and Gladys...HAHA!

Terry & Gladys :D
Yong Qing, Me & Chor Seng :D
Yong Qing, Xuan Qi, Me & Gladys :D
Terry, Me, Chor Seng, Gladys, Yong Qing :D
All of us attempting Joyce's pose...HAHA! :D
If you're wondering why we're all suddenly posing such a provocative pose, we're actually imitating Joyce, a GL from another group's signature pose...HAHA!

Joyce with her signature pose! :D

我们pose的像Joyce吗? HAHAHA! We don't have the fullness of her qian-bian and fierce kinda stare la...but you gotta admit that our pose got a bit of the feel...HAHAHA! LOL!

Yup, a few group shots outside St. Games...If you're wondering where Mel appeared from...she only joined us after everything...LOL!

Terry, Me, Cs, Xuan Qi, Yong Qing, Gladys & Melissa :D

Take 2 :D
Yup, the last pre-FOOT event is PARTICIPANT'S BRIEF! This is our very first meet-up with our freshies! :)

We met up a lil' earlier to orientate and ready ourselves before we met up with the freshies. One of the most awesome occurrence on participant's brief is this:

Chor Seng & Xuan Qi were super busy with all their GL stuff - planning and coordinating. We were supposed to eat dinner before going but I didn't. Haha!

So amidst her busyness, Xuan Qi still bothered to offer to ta-pao dinner for me :) I was like "No need la...I can ta-pao myself la..." But she was like "It's ok! I also gonna ta-pao"

Because her helpfulness, she was a lil' late and Chor Seng come and scold me "We so busy already why u still ask Xuan Qi ta-pao for you?" HAHA! Jealous boy on the loose...LOL!!

Anyway, yeah, this is one of the acts of service that really touched me...although "acts of service" ranks pretty low in my love language, it still does pull my heartstring in a certain way...Haha!

Yup, here's a few shots of us in participant's brief :D

DOMA! :)
Doing cheer! :)
DOMA with doma sign! :D haha!
Random seniors shot...haha...Wen Fong, Leslie, Me, Chin Kheng, Ah Huat, Ai Ting & Teo Sian :D
Mixture of random peeps near the camera...haha
DOMA seniors! :)
DOMA with ODAC pose with the ODAC banner hoisted properly :D haha!
DOMA! :)
I daresay we did make quite an impact on the freshies during Participant's brief :D Our ice-breakers were loud and fun-filled and laugh-filled and the cheer we thought them was also digested pretty well.

First impression's really important. If we portray ourselves as a boring group of ppl, they most probably wouldn't go for FOOT. But of course, with such great people in DOMA, we would need to try real hard to portray a bad image...HAHA!

Anyway, our freshies were also really engaging. They were really sporting especially when they had to do forfeits. Haha! They cheered, laughed and participated whole-heartedly.

I guess it takes 2 hands to clap. Once they see that their seniors - their leaders - are here to make something happen, they too will open up and engage us wholeheartedly :)

So yup, I can say that Pre-FOOT was great! All events after Participant's brief is considered as FOOT by me...Haha!

My next post will be all about the magical journey of FOOT! :) Stay tuned! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment