Saturday 8 February 2014

We were made to be lovers

Reading this book called "UN-Christian" by David Kinnaman now. He's the president of "The Barna Group" that provides research and resources that facilitate spiritual transformation in people's lives.

For this book, this organization did in-depth research on a few thousand Americans (by age group and by belief group), asking them about their experience and impression of Christianity.

Yup, this paragraph really hit me and I think it really defines what Christians are to be. It's found toward the end of chapter 6 "Sheltered". Lemme space out the sentences...

~~~~~~~

We are only asked to love, to offer hope to the many hopeless.

We don't get to choose all the endings, but we are asked to play the rescuers.

We won't solve all mysteries, and our hearts will certainly break in such a vulnerable life, but it is the best way.

We were made to be lovers, bold in broken places, pouring ourselves out again and again until we're called home.

~~~~~~~

We were made to love and to exhaust ourselves in loving - to pour and pour and pour...And we can only pour when we are filled...filled by an infinite, perfect source of love that will never run dry.

Just as I was typing this post, I came across this tweet on my twitter feed which also really spoke right to me:

"When you walk in love, you give up your right to be right."
RT @PrayInFaith 

This tweet really spoke to me because I seldom give up my right to be right. When I'm right, and when you're wrong, I make sure the right and wrong distinction is made perfectly clear.

This irks people. Yes, it's their pride that refuses to admit that they're wrong. Everyone has pride. But love triumphs all.

Showing love by giving up the argument or letting people have their way (discretionary) is a thousand times more powerful than showing them that they're wrong and driving home the right-ness of your righteousness.

Yup, this is one area I really need to work on. My unwavering adherence to my definitions and philosophies (which stands unbeaten) are sometimes a barrier to my show of love...

So help me Lord, soften my heart, lubricate it with Your perfect, unfailing, unending and steadfast love. Lemme end off with a few verses.

"Let all that you do be done in love."
1 Corinthians 16:14

"Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins."
1 Peter 4:8

"Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love."
1 John 4:7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment